In India, water borne aviation, is a recent trend. The segment has been ignored for over decades is now seeing new developments. Now, under Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS), the new government has approved 10 water aerodromes.
The Airports Authority of India, has already roped in a consultant to develop detailed project report for these 10 water aerodromes.
Some of the water aerodrome awarded are :-
- Statue of Unity, Sardar Sarovar Dam – Gujarat – SpiceJet Ltd
- Sabarmati River Front, Ahmedabad – Gujarat – SpiceJet Ltd
- Shatrunjay Dam – Gujarat – SpiceJet Ltd
- Nagarjuna Sagar Dam, Telangana – Turbo Aviation Pvt Ltd
- Umrangso Reservoir -Assam- SpiceJet Ltd
- Guwahati River Front – Assam-SpiceJet Ltd
- Long Island – Andaman & Nicobar Islands – SpiceJet Ltd
- Neil Island -Andaman & Nicobar Islands -SpiceJet Ltd
- Havelock Island – Andaman & Nicobar Islands -SpiceJet Ltd
- Prakasam Barrage – Andhra Pradesh – Turbo Aviation Pvt Ltd