With launch of Regional Connectivity Scheme, many dysfunct airstrips and airports are getting revived. Besides, the development of remote industrial estates and need for connectivity are catalysts for new airports. There has been rising demand for it from cargo as well as passenger traffic segment.
The expansion of major metro cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and Kolkatta, Bengaluru are seeing rapid growth in passenger traffic, which pushes the need of a second airport in these metro cities. Over the last few years, many new airports have gone operational and Jewar, Navi Mumbai airport are being developed just to ease out the burden of existing airports.
Here we list some of the upcoming new airports and their status.
- How many new greenfield airports are being planned in India?
Currently, the government of India, as of July 2020 has approved 16 greenfield projects across 12 states and Union Territories
- What are the new greenfield airports ?
1.Navi Mumbai Airport , Sindhudurg Airport and Purandar Airport (Pune) in Maharashtra
2. Mopa Airport in Goa
3.Bijapur Airport (Vijayapura Airport, Hassan Airport and Shimoga (Shivamoga Airport) in Karnataka
4. Datia Airport (Gwalior) /Singaurali Airport in Madhya Pradesh
5. Noida (Jewar) and Kushinagar Airport in Uttarpradesh
6.Dagadarthi Airport, Bhogapuram and Oorvakal Airport in Andhra Pradesh
7.Hologni Airport in Arunachal Pradesh
8. Karaikal Airport in Puducherry (Pondicherry)
9. Machiwara Airport (Ludhiana) in Punjab
10. Jamshedpur Airport in Jharkhand
11.Alwar Airport (Bhiwadi) in Rajasthan
12. Kothagudem Airport in Telangana
Andhra Pradesh Airports